Attendance procedure for My School (MSO) K-12 Online
Excused and Unexcused Absences
8/13/20 – Miami-Dade County Public Schools will follow the established District attendance policy regarding excused class absences as defined in School Board policy, 5200 – Attendance. If a student’s excuse for being absent does not meet the criteria set forth in the school board attendance policy for excused absences, or the parent(s) fails to report and explain the absence(s) in a timely manner, his/her absence will be considered unexcused.
Procedures for Parents to Submit an Excused Admit/Note to School
Absences shall be reported to the student’s enrolled school by the parent/legal guardian no later than five (5) days from the date of the absence.
Parents will have three ways to submit an admit:
• VIA EMAIL: The district has developed an email resource mailbox address specific to each school’s attendance office. firstname.lastname@example.org is the e-mail for Coral Reef Senior High School. Parents can send an email directly to the school’s attendance resource mailbox stating the cause for the absence and attach documents. The email must include the Student’s Full Name, MDCPS Student Seven Digit Identification Number, Date of Absence, and the Reason for the absence. The email subject line should read “Excused Admit”.
• VIA THE PARENT PORTAL OR MOBILE APP: A link will be available via the Parent Portal and MDCPS Mobile App for parents to submit admits directly to the school. Through the app, parents will be able to submit attachments and documentation.
• IN-PERSON: Parents who wish to submit documentation in person, may do so at the school’s attendance office.
The School Day
Classes are in session from 7:20 am until 2:20 pm.
Students are expected to be on time to their classes.
Students are expected to assume the responsibility for regular and prompt attendance in each class. If a student is not physically present in the classroom assigned, he/she will be marked absent, regardless of the reason (school business, committee meeting, band trip, illness, prearranged, etc.).
After an absence, students returning to school are expected to:
- provide the school with a written explanation from the parent or legal guardian within three (3) school days. No copies or faxes accepted.
- request make‐up assignments from their teachers.
- submit make‐up assignments within the time frame specified by the individual teacher.
- submit a doctor’s note to excuse any absence after the 10th absence.
- submit a doctor’s note after three (3) consecutive absences.
- secure an admit during lunch within 3 days of returning to school and
- make arrangements with teachers to make‐up or turn in assignments. Arrangements to make‐up a quiz/exam must be done in a timely fashion.
Excused School Absences/Tardies
An absence/tardy that does not fall into one of the excused absence/tardy categories is considered to be unexcused. According to School Board Rule, an excused school absence falls under one of the following: student illness, medical appointment, court/immigration appointments, death in the family, school sponsored event, observance of religious holiday, and/or an educational/enrichment activity as determined by the principal or the principal’s designee. The Miami‐Dade County School Board has an established attendance policy which states, “a student accumulating ten (10) or more unexcused absences in an annual course or five (5) or more unexcused absences in a semester course is subject to the withholding of the final passing grades. Students whose grades are withheld will receive NC (no credit) on their report card.”
Please Note: Students will be counted as present only if they are actually present for at least two (2) hours or engaged in a school-approved educational activity which constitutes a part of the instructional program for the student.